Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Embracing the Runner Girl


For so long I have been referred to as the "Runner Girl", I have fought this identity because I felt like I was more than just a runner. A couple of weeks ago I was talking with a friend and telling her that I needed a new identity. She said to me," just embrace it." Simple but so profound, at least to me. I have spend years trying to make a new identity for myself and still always come back to being known as the Runner Girl. So without further adieu I am going to embrace my identity and see where it takes me. I know that I am not just a runner, for I am also a wife, mother, friend, teacher, learner, and so many other things.
Heres to the future and the endless possibilities that it holds. After so many years of searching I am finally okay with me and that is a good feeling. Heck, it only took me 35 years :)

4 comments:

  1. I say embrace it, but know that it doesn't limit or define who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am known as "vegetarian girl" and i feel the same as you many times! i am WAY more than that! of course, i wish i was STILL the runner girl, but unfortunately, those days are gone and i have to be "spinning girl!" hey, whatever happened to you guys coming out here to visit?? saw on your sidebar you wanted to do another 10K-- remember how you were gonna do the Bolder Boulder?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! I don't know if you have read my blog in a while or not....but I find it quite funny that I just posted about a similar topic here...
    http://cassietheparty.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-explanation.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mer-we still want to come out but this year turned out not to be the year. We are building a house and our house is on the market. trust me, I wish that I was coming:) Next year!!! I think that my joints are starting to tell me that I need to be "spinning girl" more often :) We should do a tri, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete